Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: It sounds like a cricket is living under my hood.

  1. #1
    Inactive Member hypa's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2001
    Posts
    88
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The damndest thing happened when I started my car this morning. At idle, I could hear a chirping sound, very similar to the sound a cricket makes. It was consistent, and sounded almost like it was coming from a rotating piece (it chirped every 3 seconds or so @ idle), since it chirped faster at 2000rpm, than it did at 1000rpm.

    Has anyone experienced this sound?
    It's not the bypass valve squeak. I'm quite familiar with that noise, this one is new.

    My guess right now is that it's either a bad bearing on the tensioner, a bad bearing in the blower, or my exhaust vibrating slight enough to cause the noise.

    Anyone ever had experience with this kind of sound?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member 217gsr's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 22nd, 2001
    Posts
    1,128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Do you still have the original metal tensioner pulleys on? If so, I recommend changing over to the new plastic ones. Doing that relieved the "cricket" sounding squeeking that I had.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Max Psi GSR's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 1999
    Posts
    860
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    could just be a lose belt, or too tight belt. Maybe the chirp/click you heard was from where the belt had kinda "formed" to the pulley it was on, sorta like flat spotting a tire, you did say it sat over night and did it in the morning, right? [img]wink.gif[/img]

    Happened to me too.....check the belts, and move on...

    Tony

  4. #4
    Inactive Member hypa's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2001
    Posts
    88
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the ideas here. I was about ready to give up and buy a turbo ( [img]graemlins/thumbs_down.gif[/img] ).

    After putting the car in the air, I found that one, or some of my tensioner pulleys weren't as tight as they should be. I tightened them up, and the sound has pretty much gone away. I'm still not confident that the problem is solved though. I think I'll ask the boys at Magnusson or JR to send me a new plastic idler pulley.

    It's always something, isn't it.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member CROM's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 1999
    Posts
    1,202
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Smile

    It's always something with cars no matter what form of power adder you go with(well atleast this is the case with 4 cylinders of fire breathing, gut-wrenching torque producing, fury.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member klintman's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 21st, 2001
    Posts
    319
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    try bug spray .

  7. #7
    Inactive Member replica667's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 26th, 2002
    Posts
    23
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Don't all m45 blowers sound like an insect of some sort? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member hypa's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2001
    Posts
    88
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Guess what?!?

    It's still making the noise.....
    I'm taking out the blower tonight, since I wanted to go back to 6psi anyway (10psi isn't good for racing in the summer). I'm pretty pissed about it though. I have yet to compete this summer because of performance altering supercharger gremlins.

    replica667, M45?!?
    I'm running an M62 on my car. It sounds more like a streetbike then a bug though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •